9.23.2012

T-E-A-M!

We had our annual Back to School Night last week as did hundreds of other local schools. I enjoy meeting my students' parents and sharing with them the expectations set forth to ensure a successful school year for us all. 

I always begin my presentation with my mission statement (why I really do what I do) and a brief personal account of who I am as a "real person."  I talk about where I grew up, what schools I attended, my degrees earned, my current goals and sometimes show pictures of my babies....err....cats. And then I ask, "What do you want to know about me?" 

Crickets.
Chirp. 
Chirp. 
Chirp.

I smile and continue, "You send your children to school to spend all day with me and you don't have any questions?"

Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?

I smile.  "Well, your children have a lot of questions for me every second of the day!"  And finally I get some chuckles.

Every year it's the same and I find it fascinating.  In every teacher magazine there are articles upon articles about how educators needs to partner more with families and include them in more school events.  Teachers and parents are a team!  Never be afraid to ask questions.  You are your child's advocate and have every right to know what is happening within the classroom.  Exterminate those crickets.  Send an email, drop a note or call the school.  Be active and involved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment