9.03.2012

Twas the Night Before School...

I sobbed.  Like a baby.  In public.  On the beach.  Why?  Because Labor Day is here.

I know how fortunate I am to have ten weeks of vacation time; I'm certainly not complaining.  But every year Labor Day is the equivalent to New Years for teachers.  There is a mix of excitement, sadness and anxiety as that September Monday approaches.

What new policies are in place?

Will my new administrators like me?

How much has the curriculum changed?

Will my new class learn the routines and expectations?

Will they listen and be willing to learn?

Will parents be supportive?

Are my plans ready to go?

Are my photocopies made and papers stapled?

The past week I have dreamt about setting up desks, opening my classroom library and technology failures in the middle of my lessons.  I have stared at the clock in the wee hours of the morning because all I can think about is a million and one things that need to happen to make this "the best year ever" (and have come to learn that there is never such a thing!)   I tried to explain to Drew that each September is like starting at a new job.  The changes are endless with the expectations ever rising while the resources are constantly diminishing. 

But -

We will all go into our classrooms early, our nervous energy causing us to pace about while we wait for the moment we meet those new students.  And then the passion for teaching takes over.  It's what we do.  It's why we do it. 
 
Happy New (School) Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment