8.27.2012

We've Got it in the Bag!

School is upon us once again and that means friends, homework and packed lunches. When I younger I brought my mom-packed lunch every school day.  It consisted of the exact same contents from elementary to high school:  a ham and cheese sandwich on white bread with mustard (cut vertically) and a Tasty Kake holiday cake treat (you remember the ones with the orange sprinkles for fall and the Christmas tree-shaped cakes during the holidays!)  To me the monotony was welcome and expected.  Every once in awhile I would get a personalized mom-note that I would read in secret.  I cherished those.

A lot of parents do not have time to make lunches and opt for the school meals.  True that laws are being passed to encourage healthy eating but make no mistake about the extreme calorie count during "Nacho Tuesday" and "Pizza Friday."  Convenience may have its consequences.

But then there are those picky eaters who poke and prod at their food.  I came across a great resource to help out those parents in search some practical lunch solutions: 

http://www.simplebites.net/balanced-school-lunches-for-picky-eaters/

No matter what method you choose for your child, be sure that s/he is happy with his/her lunch.  A belly needs to be full for the brain to be on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment